Myton History - (Use the links below to learn more about Myton's Past)
Birth   Banking   Fires   Mormons
Bridge   The Curse   Transportation   Presbyterians
High Hopes   Water   Education   Airport
Recreation   Lights   Newspaper   Local Economy


And there was light

In the year 1913 it became possible to obtain electricity in the Town of Myton. It seems there were two companies that were vying for the right to service Myton. One was the Myton Electric Light, Water and Power Company (MELWP) and the other the Uintah Power and Light Company (UP&L). The following are excerpts from the minutes of 1913-14 of the Myton Town Board.

  • Oct. 21, 1913: An Ordinance to give MELWP and UP&L a franchise to erect, operate and maintain a power company within the corporate limits of Myton, was read and passed to the second reading.
  • Oct. 24, 1913: Ordinance was read for the second time. (Putting the cart before the horse )
  • Nov. 3, 1913: Both companies were given permission to begin work on setting pole's, etc. (then after the fact)
  • Dec. 16,1913: An ordinance to regulate and control, Electric Light and Power, Telephone and Telegraph Companies was read for the first time and passed to the second reading. Also a request was made by Fred Pack and Wm. Gentry to install telephone lines in Myton and was granted.
  • Dec. 22, 1913: Ordinance to regulate Power and Light Companies was read for the second time. The Uintah Telephone Company asked for a permit to set poles and wire on the south side of the streets which run east and west and on the west side of the streets that run north and south. Request was tabled until the next meeting. The request from UP&L was read again but no action taken.
  • Dec. 29, 1913: Power and Light Ordinance read for the third time and passed on to legal council for examination.
  • Jan. 02, 1914: Communication from legal council Thomas McDonnell, stated that a Town of Myton's class could only follow State laws concerning granting of franchise. The Board proceeded to pass a two page Resolution regulating utilities within the Town.
  • Jan. 5, 1914: UP&L was granted a permit to set poles and string lines on the North and West sides of the streets for three years.
  • June 2, 1914: MELWP was granted a permanent permit to set poles and run lines on the South and East sides of the streets.
  • Sept. 4, 1914: Board agreed to rent from UP&L, thirty, 8 candle power street lights, at the rate of .75 cents per light per month. Contract to extend to 1/1/15. A committee was appointed to place the lights " to the best advantage of all citizens".

Didn't find any more about MELWP.


Uintah Power and Light Power Plant

Naomai and Lionel Babcock, Warfield Munz, and Hazle and R.E. Waugh, sitting on the water line at the Uintah Power and Light power plant dedication.

Three Men and a Lady sitting on a dusty UPL pipe.
© Myton City Corporation - All Rights Reserved | Website by www.centralpointsystems.com