In the early days, before Myton became an incorporated Town, we had neither a water system nor a fire department. Consequently many fires were fought to no avail and the buildings were lost. After a devastating fire in early 1915, in which an entire block of the business section burned to the ground, the Town Council and other business owners decided it was essential that we have a water system.
A ccording to an article in the Myton Free Press on April 22, 1915, "A water system is in the not far distant future. Perhaps the most important need of Myton at this time is a Water System. The question was brought up at the meeting of the Town Board on Tuesday night and thoroughly discussed. It seemed to be the consensus of opinion that the property owners of the town will vote in favor of bonding the town (for a water system) if an election is called."
A bond election for $10,000.00 at 6% for twenty years was called for and took place on June 19, 1915. After many setbacks and changes in plans it became apparent to the Town Board that it was going to cost more to finish the system than they had planned. So in September of 1916 they bonded for another $8,000.00.
The system consisted of an elevated tank, erected at the corner of "E" Street and West Boundary Street. The tank held 50,000 gallons of water , which were pumped into it from a well located in the northwest corner of town, near the Duchesne river. The water that came into the well from the Duchesne river was not of the highest quality. The water pipes used in this system were made of wood; repair and maintenance were constant problems. There were very few, if any, inside hookups. In general, the water ran into an outside hydrant of central location, which made it very hard to bill for.
Water Systems 2, 3, & 4
The water tank system, was not going to serve the t was clear right from the start, that City adequately. But the town was stuck with it and in debt for it. It was depression times and the whole USA was in financial trouble. Both banks in Myton went broke. A man would work for ten hours a day for $2.00. The City was having a hard time paying their bills and the dillemma involving the water system's upkeep became critical. So by 1925 the City embarked on a search for new solutions. The 1930s came and with it came the Federal Relief Programs such as P.W.A., W.P.A., and the EDR. Through taking advantage of these new resources Myton secured part of the funds for the property on the North Bench for a reservoir, and for shares of Dry Gulch Water. WPA workers scooped out our first reservoir and the organization paid for the pipe to bring the water to town and for the chlorinating plant and as early as 1942 people were hooking on to the system. During W.W.II the Water Tank was sold for scrap iron to help the war effort for the sum of $230.00. As the years went by, many problems with this 2nd water system surfaced. One of the main problems was the quality of water at certain times of the year when the water in the reservoir became low. In the mid-1970s we were given a "No Hook ups until you have a State Approved Water System " ultimatum by the State Board of Health. So the City plunged in debt, way over their heads to bond for a State Approved System, hoping to receive benefit and growth from the "Oil Boom" that the Uintah Basin was enjoying at that time.
We finished the State Approved Water Treatment Plant in 1978 just as the Oil Boom was receding, so we did not receive the growth that we expected from it. Between 1980 and 1988 the City received three grants to replace the old water lines all the way through town. The Purification Plant was very expensive to operate and maintain so we were almost relieved when we were forced to abandon the plant during the drought of the late 80s, when there was no Dry Gulch Water available. Fortunately, we had been included, by the CIB, in the Johnson Water line through Bridgeland and points east. When our reservoirs dried up we had only to notify Johnson Water and turn on a valve to bring Starvation Water to our lines.