The Birth of Myton
On June 7, 1905 the Secretary of the Interior directed the Commissioner of Indian Affairs to select one or more tracts of land suitable for townsites, so they might be reserved as such under the Statutes of the United States. A month later President Theodore Roosevelt approved the selections and declared these lands reserved as Townsites. These sections are what we now know as Myton, Duchesne, and Randlett. In the fall of this same year the Basin was thrown open for homesteading. People from all over the world flooded into the area. Myton, being the first town of any size, was expected to be the hub of the Uintah Basin. The first homes and businesses were built on the banks of the Duchesne River near the Bridge.
Old Town Myton
In the early days, the " City Center" was located on the banks of the Duchesne River, near the place the old wooden bridge crossed the river.